We – Susan and I – are celebrating life by once again by Walking 39 Miles in two days. This will be Susan’s 13th Walk and my 4th Walk. We picked Washington, DC this year. Last year was Santa Barbara California. Our walk takes place on the 2nd and 3rd of May, 2015.
What better way to celebrate survival than walking to support those who need to survive.
It won’t be easy for either of us, more me that Susan since she is in much better physical shape than me, but that’s why it's worth it. From now until AVON 39 weekend, I’ll train to strengthen my body to walk over 39 miles in two days.
Walking is also a part of Susan’s mindset of survivorship. She once said to me that she wanted to be the oldest person to ever walk the Avon 39 miles! Can you imagine? And each time she walks I see that determination in her that so characterizes who she is as a human being.
I’m walking with Susan, Rachael our daughter, and thousands of other 39ers. We’re banding together in solidarity and have one goal: to take breast cancer down. So many sisters and mothers and friends have been lost. Indeed, Susan’s mother and my mother both died of metastasized breast cancer. We have two daughters and three granddaughters.
So here is why I walk:
- To match Susan’s determination to survive her breast cancer.
- To strengthen my own body and self so I can walk with Susan.
- To honor the memory of Susan’s mother who died from metastasized breast cancer
- To honor the memory of my mother who died from metastasized breast cancer
- To honor my sister Marion who survives her breast cancer.
- To Crush Breast Cancer for my daughter, daughter-in-law and three granddaughters!
Your donations will be managed and disbursed by the Avon Foundation. The dollars you pledge will put food on the table of a breast cancer patient and her family. They will enable access to mammograms and medicine, fuel research, and save lives.